No one would want their family to ride in an unsafe watercraft. That’s exactly what they’re doing if you let them ride without watercraft insurance.
What is included in the definition of watercraft? It’s just not boats. Watercraft involves any vehicle that travels on the water, including recreational watercraft such as water skis. Anything that travels on the water needs to be insured.
Here is a list of the top reasons why you should purchase insurance for your family’s watercraft:
- Protect your family: You should want to do anything you can to protect your entire family. Something may happen to your watercraft vehicle while you, your wife, or your dependent is on it. If such an incident occurs, you will be glad to have insurance. Watercraft insurance will be able to help you pay for any hospital bills that you may be required to pay.
- Protect your investment: Your next priority will likely be protecting the investment that you made when you bought your watercraft. Watercraft insurance will be able to help pay for most damages that it might incur. Not all insurance companies offer coverage for all types of damage. Make sure that you know what your policy covers.
- Protect yourself against claims:Most insurance companies will offer you protection against claims made by other people who are injured on your watercraft. Accidents do occur, and your family shouldn’t have to suffer when they happen. Your insurance company will be able to help you pay court costs and may even provide you with professionals to help you with these claims.
- Protect yourself legally: You may be legally required to obtain insurance for your watercraft vehicles. Different states will have different requirements. Your insurance company should be able to walk you through these requirements.
If you are wondering how to find the best insurance for your and your family’s watercraft, but you may not have to look further than your own insurance company. Here are some questions that you need to ask in order to make sure that this goal becomes a reality:
- Is watercraft insurance covered under my recreational insurance?If you have recreational insurance already, you probably don’t need to acquire additional insurance for your watercraft. However, some polices may not cover all types of watercraft. Also, you may want additional coverage for your watercraft. Discuss all of your options with your insurance company.
- How much coverage do I have? You should make sure that you know how much coverage you have before you need to use your insurance. With insurance, you basically get what you pay for. If you suspect that you have too little or too much coverage, do not hesitate to contact your insurance company.
- What is covered under my insurance?Your insurance company should include coverage for accidents involving your family members and guests aboard your watercraft, as well as damage to the craft itself. However, some insurance companies exclude certain causes of damage, such as weather related incidents, theft, or vandalism. You may want to search for another insurance company if you are worried that you are not getting the right kind of coverage.
- Are there discounts available? Each insurance company will offer their clients different discounts as incentives for choosing them. These discounts may lower your costs considerably. In order to take advantage of these discounts, make sure that you ask your insurance company about everything that is available through watercraft insurance.
- What is the claims process?It is crucial that you understand the entire claims process. Make sure that you know who and when to call to make a claim, what the next step will be, and how long the entire claims process will take.
SOGO wants to help make sure that you get the right amount of coverage for the right price. Contact us if you want to know more about how to protect your family and your watercraft.